Monday, March 4, 2013

Adventures In Scientology Part 2

(For Part One of my story hit the link http://bit.ly/12oxLyW)

I was working on a PR piece when we somehow got on the subject of Fat Tuesday.  The discussion moved from Fat Tuesday parties to the start of Lent.  The conversation went like this:

Not-Me: "Aren't you a Scientologist?"

Me: "Not the last time I checked."

Not-Me: "Really?  What are you?"

Me: "Spiritual Free Agent."

Not-Me: "Then why are you here if you're not a Scientologist?"

My coworker was surprised I'm not a member of the religion.  He also seemed surprised that I didn't care that others in the office were members of Scientology.  I think members of the church are so used to a negative public view that they don't meet many "outsiders" who are okay with the religion.

Once it became clear I wasn't a member of the religion, a portion of each work day was filled with Scientology discussions:

*One of my coworkers wore a different Scientology event hat or shirt everyday to try and get me to ask about the article of clothing.  The simple question would always lead into a LONG Scientology values discussion.

*The father of the owners started the Scientology church in another state in the 1960s.  He also helped push the Narconon group to a larger role in the church.

*Some of the clients the company signed would have second thoughts after they discovered the Scientology connection with the company.  There would be many long "it's our personal beliefs and not our professional beliefs" discussions with clients.

*The company computer databases and programs were all assigned names that were tributes to famous Scientology teachers and leaders.

*Everyday problems were solved by focusing on the issue, visualizing the issue, drawing a picture of the issue, asking someone if they recognize the issue depicted in the picture and clearing all previous definitions of the issue out of the reactive thought process.

I told Dana the entire experience was like being in a crime movie where the next victim starts piecing together the evidence to late to save himself.  It was also like a horror movie where the next victim realizes someone else is in the house and waiting to jump out and kill him.

I'm not trying to say it was a horrible experience working for these PR guys.  They were all (somewhat) nice to me and a few were even very friendly.  I don't even have an issue with anyone that wants to be a Scientologist.  If your religion makes you happy, then feel free to worship the religion of your choice!

My main problem with the place?

It was like being at a Scientology Day Camp.  I didn't dislike the work at all.  I just got tired of the all day/everyday plugs for Scientology.

I've finished my time at the Scientology Day Camp.  I've learned more than I ever wanted to about the religion. 

I hope I haven't been programmed to be a Scientology Sleeper Agent that will wake up one day to spread the gospel.  If that does happen to me, you'll know why I'm asking you to focus, visualize and draw a picture.





No comments:

Post a Comment