Monday, November 11, 2013

My unexpected trip to Salem

My Dadager job is great fun because I get to spend a good amount of time with my teenage kid.  He even acts like he doesn't mind being around me most of the time.

It's a fun job...But it doesn't pay all of the bills.

I've been doing a lot of freelance and contract jobs to give me a flexible schedule.  As I've mentioned before, sometimes we get less than 8 hours notice before an audition. The freelance gigs are easy to handle on a set and I'm able to work on them away from a traditional office situation.

I had a meeting last week for a contract PR job in Burbank.  I knew the street but wasn't sure about the actual location of the building.  Imagine my surprise when I realized it was this building:

The building formerly known as "NBC Studios"
 
The name change happened last year.  NBC still has a lease in place until 2013.  Jay Leno's "Tonight Show", "Days Of Our Lives" and "Access Hollywood" still tape at the studio.  The tours of the facility ended in 2012.  NBC's local LA news and the west coach branch of NBC News are still located in this building.  Most of the shows/news will (more than likely) move a few miles away to Universal Studios in 2013.
 
I took a right on Bob Hope Drive and arrived at the guard gate.  My second surprise happened when I received my parking pass/guest pass:
 
I had no idea I was heading to the "Days Of Our Lives" set.
 
I followed the directions given by the security guard and passed this giant sound stage:
 
 
I made my way around the building to an open stage door.  I could hear the Tonight Show Band rehearsing for the show.  I also passed by this vital piece of Tonight Show equipment:
Don't even think about throwing your trash in this dumpster!!!
 
I headed down the walkway and reached the main building where I was greeted by this great artwork:
 
 
I knew I was getting close to the PR office when I passed this beauty:
 
Over the years, Stage 4 has included "The Andy Williams Show", "Card Sharks", "Elvis Presley's 68 Comeback Special" and "Days Of Our Lives". 
If you're of a certain age you hear the voice of Macdonald Carey as you read the words in the photo.
 
I walked the hallways and made my way past the makeup room and the main set before I got to my destination.  I thought I was in the wrong place because the room number listed on the visitor pass turned out to be a break room.  I walked in on a group of actors running their lines.  The room also had instructions for recurring cast members and background players.
 
Sorry for the blurry photo.  I was trying not to get caught taking the photo in the room.
 
I was about to turn around when I heard voices from the hallway behind the break room.  I walked back and discovered the PR firm!
 
I haven't heard yet if I got the contract job.  Even if I don't land the gig, it was worth going to the meeting for the adventure!
 
P.S....As always, I'd appreciate it if you would click on the link to Zach's IMDb page.  The higher the number of clicks...The higher his ranking on IMDb!
 
 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment