Sunday, December 20, 2015

My 200th Anniversary Blogpost Blowout Extravaganza

It's hard to believe this is my 200th update from Hollywood. To mark the milestone, I'd like to share some things I've learned about the acting business and Hollywood since I've started this blog:
  • Every actor I've met since moving here is a "working actor". Everyone is not an actor that gets paid to act but they all claim to be working actors.
  • Almost every restaurant is a museum of headshots collected over the lifetime of the restaurant. Depending on the age of the establishment, there can be headshots dating back to the 70s and earlier.
  • While the city of Los Angeles doesn't solely revolve around the entertainment industry, it is the main topic of conversation on a daily basis.
  • Did you miss the awesome car chase that happened last night? Don't worry. There will be another one later this week. Los Angeles has more police chases that go on for hours than any other city I know.
  • You can't go more than 2 days without stumbling across a production crew filming in a neighborhood. It's very commonplace to see a group of production assistants running up and down the street keeping everything running smoothly for the rest of the crew.
  • Spending Friday nights at Nick on Sunset watching my kid film a Nickelodeon television show is not how I imagined my Friday nights on the Sunset Strip when I was in my 20s.
  • Traffic is hardly ever in your favor and never easy to predict. I've been in my truck for 3 hours attempting to drive 6 miles to an audition while also making it from my home to LAX (17 miles) in 20 minutes (which should never happen!).
  • The best celebrity sightings are at the grocery store. Zach bumped into Kanye West once at a Ralphs (and I mean he really bumped into him) but didn't get yelled at by Kanye since Zach was only around 13-years-old at the time. I like to think that Kanye wouldn't yell at kids.
  • You never know when you will run across a celebrity or a "celebrity" in town. The most random celebrity sightings I've had include Charles Fleischer (voice of Roger Rabbit), Jack Box (mascot of Jack In The Box), Toby Keith greeting my dog at a 7-Eleven and Sandra Bullock at a farmers market.
  • People in Beverly Hills tend to give you an odd look when you want to valet park a large red pickup at a restaurant.
  • Almost everyone who moves to Los Angeles never accepts the fact that they are Los Angeles residents. They could live here one year or 20 years and they will still tell you that they are from (insert name of their hometown). I understand having pride in where you come from but they never seem to accept the fact that they live in California.
  • People that you don't even realize are actors will randomly appear on your television screen. Places that you dine at will suddenly be the setting for an important scene on a TV show. We once spotted our apartment building manager as a bartender at one of our favorite restaurants (that doesn't have a bar) on a FOX sitcom and then he was on TV the next night being questioned in a murder investigation on ABC.
Thanks for following Zach's adventures as well as my blog for the last 200 posts. Pilot season starts in early 2016 so a new round of actors moving to Hollywood is about to begin. I'll be bringing you behind the scenes stories as well as plenty of other Hollywood tales and adventures in the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment