Monday, March 7, 2016

How I Spend My Time When I'm Not Writing About Acting And Hollywood

Besides spending my time writing about Hollywood, I do copywriting and PR for a living. My worlds intersect sometimes but there are many subjects I promote that have nothing to do with acting. I'd like to give you a glimpse into my world with some of my favorite business related conversations from the past 2 or 3 weeks. All of the quotes below are from people who sought me out for my PR or writing services:
  • "I'd like you to represent me and help me get some speaking engagements. I've written a 5-volume book series about being abandoned as a teenager as well as my life in foster homes and drug dens. I'm thinking my presentation can conclude with a medley of my favorite Broadway songs performed by my line of copyrighted sock puppets."
  • "The copy needs to speak to a 50+ female who might be a mother but could also be a cougar while still retaining her dignity after a night in the arms of her mid-20s co-worker. Do you think you can find the written voice for our line of weight loss snacks?" 
  • "The event will be in June. If you don't raise enough money to reach your projected sponsorship goal, would you be okay with covering the rest on your credit card?"
  • "I'd love to hire you but I'll need to take credit for everything you write so my wife won't know I didn't do any work on the project."
  • "I was looking at your sample copy. It was really good but you wrote "practice" when it should be "praktice". (I'm not making that up!)
  • "I'm thinking of holding the world's largest hamster race in DTLA on a Sunday morning. How much press can you get and can you ask the reporters if they would stand inside giant hamster balls?"
  • "My book should be done soon and I need a press agent to help me promote it. I think there's an audience for a book on how standing on one leg can activate your psychic abilities."
  • "I don't understand what public relations does for a client. Can you run a 3-month campaign for me for free so I can observe what you do to see if I like it?"
As odd as Hollywood can be at times, it's nothing compared to some of the weird questions and requests I see on a daily basis while working.  

Don't get me wrong...I welcome your business ideas and the chance to work together. There are just a few business proposals that amaze me every week!





No comments:

Post a Comment