Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Screening Screeners On My Home Screen

One of the great things about having a kid "in the biz" is screeners.

If you don't know, a screener is a copy of a movie or television show made for the purpose of reviews, trying to get distributors interested in a project or (in Zach's case) allowing industry members to see the movies nominated for awards in Hollywood. (Zach is eligible to vote for the SAG Awards)

It also means that I get to watch movies with him in the comfort of our own home. Don't get me wrong. There is something great about going to a movie theater and seeing a film on the big screen. Plus, it is a good excuse to enjoy food I never eat otherwise such as nachos with the "tastes good but can't be good for you" nacho cheese, caramel popcorn (the only kind of popcorn I will eat) and chocolate covered raisins

Screeners have evolved over the years from VHS tapes to DVDs to digital downloads. Zach gets a mixture of DVDs and digital downloads. It was really nice over the weekend to be able to watch a current movie without having to go out in the California rain to see a film. We watched "La La Land" (still in theaters and up for many Oscars this weekend) in the comfort of our own warm and dry home. It is a beautifully shot movie that I'm sure looks amazing on the big screen. It also looked really nice on my television while watching it from my couch.

Screeners do come with the standard warning to not share them on the Internet or give them to others to watch or attempt to sell or profit from their existence. I don't want Zach to be on the receiving end of any anger over screeners so we definitely keep them "in house".

I'm looking forward to the Oscars because we've been able to watch many of the films up for best picture thanks to screeners. It's a great way to save money and enjoy the best of Hollywood at the same time.

I'm looking forward to watching screeners starring this actor in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment