Sunday, October 2, 2016

Missed Interviews and Unexpected Opportunities

I've received a few emails out of the blue recently regarding my "dadager" duties with The Artist. These emails prove that you never know what will strike a chord with people.

I do a lot of social media for a living and try to tailor each post to the needs of the client. However, there are times I create a post simply because I find something amusing or because I want to share a joke with the fans of the client. While many of the posts I spend a good amount of time on do very well in terms of views and interactions, the posts I create on the spur of the moment sometimes gather more attention than the planned posts. I worked at a plastic surgery conference last weekend in downtown Los Angeles and I kept thinking of silly jokes while walking around the conference. I posted a few of them on my Instagram page and they caught the attention of the plastic surgery community around the world. 

When Zach and I moved to California in 2012, I started this blog as a way of documenting our adventures in Hollywood. I called myself a dadager because I thought it was a funny name to use in the title of the blog. Little did I know that the word would come to define me in the eyes of many people in the film and television industry. The fact that people refer to me by that title is not a bad thing. I'm just amazed by that fact since I started using the name simply as a joke. In fact, it is the name many people use when they are searching for me on the Internet.

The first email I received was around Memorial Day. A well-known author (the kind of author that it seemed like it should have been a prank email) contacted me through this blog wanting to know if he could interview me for a very mainstream magazine. His editor ran across my blog and became interested in my stories about learning my way around the entertainment industry in Los Angeles and what it's like being a father at auditions when the majority of stage parents are females. We set-up a weekend where he could see Zach do improv at Second City and interview our whole family. The weekend neared and the author had to cancel our interview because he was assigned another story. It was like auditioning, getting a callback and then going to test for producers. I was close to landing the part (being interviewed) but the part went to someone else (he was assigned another story).

The second email came in early August and it was from a television production company in New York City looking for parents active in the careers of their children in Hollywood. I did a phone call to get more information and seemed to hit all the right notes. According to the production executive:
  • I had great/funny/moving stories
  • I was knowledgeable without being boring
  • I was an easy interview
  • I was the kind of person they wanted to cast for their project
I wasn't sold on the idea of being part of a TV project about Hollywood parents but I wasn't going to completely dismiss the idea. I did the phone call on a Wednesday and she asked me to leave the following Wednesday or Thursday open for a Skype interview. The executive needed to do her weekly production meeting before our Skype interview so she could get more details together for me. We set-up a time to Skype and then she dropped out of sight. I made a few calls and emails but got no answer. When I finally heard from her, I was told the project was on hold because they were having trouble finding other parents (besides me) who weren't jerks or looking to boost their own careers by being on a realty TV show. In acting terms, I did the audition and had the part in hand but troubles assembling the rest of the cast put the project on hold.

If those two emails count as strike one and strike two, is there a strike three in this story?

Yes.

The well-known author emailed me again in the middle of August to ask if I was still interested in doing the interview. His editor asked him why I hadn't been interviewed yet and wanted it done in September. We set-up another weekend for him to visit us and see Zach perform around town. His last email to me said he would be in touch soon to finalize the details for the September interview.

Welcome to October. Still no interview. Still no word from him. I'm not surprised but I am amazed at all of the trouble he has gone through only to miss the interview twice. I'm especially amazed since I didn't initiate the interview process either time. 

Both of these experiences have given me a better understanding of what Zach goes through at auditions. It's tough being told you're the perfect choice for a project and then never hearing back from the person who praised you. While being stood up for an interview isn't the same as not booking a part, it still helps me when I'm talking to Zach after he doesn't hear anything after reading for a role. 

It's the kind of insight that would be great to share on TV or in a print interview. All I need is someone to actually do an interview with me!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment