Sunday, May 28, 2017

A Random Up Close And Personal Celebrity Encounter

Helicopters are a common sight in Los Angeles. It seems like police helicopters are in neighborhoods on a weekly basis aiding in manhunts. News helicopters are out a few times a week covering police chases. Helicopters are so common that it takes a little while to realize something out of the ordinary might be happening when they are flying around my neighborhood.

I heard two helicopters flying overheard last week. They were in the neighborhood for so long that I eventually realized something more than a police chase was going on that afternoon.

I went outside and looked around but couldn't see them in the sky. I did notice smoke filling the air a few streets over from my place. I walked towards the smoke and was able to spot two helicopters hovering over the hills of Sherman Oaks. I eventually ended up standing in the parking lot of the McDonald's close to my home. The parking lot was full of people trying to get a glimpse of the house on fire up in the hills. One helicopter was making an effort to put out the blaze while the other one looked to be a news helicopter getting footage of the action.

I walked to the edge of the parking lot where a guy was standing by himself watching the fire. He was wearing an ill-fitting shirt that didn't quite cover his belly, black shorts and white socks, I didn't pay much attention to him but he eventually said "Look at those two helicopters. You'd think the wind from them would help put out the fire."

There are some people you've never met in your life but you instantly know their voice from TV and movies. This was definitely the case once the guy started talking to me. I agreed with him but didn't turn to look at him. He then said that the house looked nice and maybe the fire didn't do much damage. I turned towards him to reply and said something that I don't remember. What I do remember is my first thought when I looked at the celebrity with the recognizable voice:

"Jon Lovitz is not that tall in person."

Admit it. Now that I've told you the name of the celebrity, you can hear his voice talking to me about the fire,

I never let on that I recognized him. I did mention the sound of multiple helicopters made me think a giant police chase was happening. He laughed and said the fire was not as exciting as a police chase. Plus, he remarked the smoke from the fire was now white and that probably meant the fire was close to being out. His other theory about the white smoke was:

"It could mean they've elected a new pope."

It hit me then how odd that moment was for me. I'm standing in a McDonald's parking lot listening to a former SNL cast member do stand-up comedy for an audience of one (me) about a fire we were both watching.

We continued to chat while he made jokes about the fire decreasing the resale value of the homes in that neighborhood. After a few minutes, I politely excused myself so I could go home and finish some work. I walked home thinking that my encounter with Jon Lovitz was the most "Hollywood" thing that has happened to me in months.

Celebrity sightings are commonplace in Los Angeles because of the number of movies and TV shows shot in the area. However, it's rare to get a private comedy show from a person you've watched on television since the 1980s. I should say it's rare to get that opportunity without having to pay big money for an appearance fee!

This Actor Hopes To Be An SNL Cast Member In The Future.









No comments:

Post a Comment