Saturday, March 24, 2012

Do I Still Get One Phone Call?

Zach went to improv class this morning so I decided to take care of a few errands.  I haven't carried any cash on me for 3 days so I went by the bank.

After getting a $20 from the ATM, I went inside the branch to break the $20 into a $10, a $5 and five $1's.

I handed the bill (that I had just gotten from their ATM) to the teller.  He looked at it once and then told me, "This is certainly a funny looking twenty-dollar bill".  I replied, "Why?  Does it have a clown on it?"

The teller told me it weighed more than a normal $20.  Where did I get this funny bill?

"Outside at your ATM in front of the building...the one with the camera built into the ATM and a camera above the machine."

He called over another teller who looked at the bill, and then at me, with a doubtful glare.

Even though I explained (again) that I got the bill out of their ATM...and that they could review the camera footage...and check my bankcard activity...they were giving me the impression that I was guilty (in their minds) of trying to pass a fake $20.

Cut to 15-minutes later...

I'm still trying to get my $20 bill changed into smaller bills.  I am now standing at the window with two tellers, a manager and a security guard.  I guess it didn't help that I asked them if they wanted to check my hands for wet ink.

I talked them into checking the ATM card activity.  They pulled up the card history on their computer.

The history showed that I had used the card in the last 15-20 minutes. (Check)
The history showed that I used the card at an ATM in Sherman Oaks. (Check)
The history showed that I had the used the card to get $20. (Check)
The history showed that I got the money at their ATM. (Check...For the win!)

Instead of an apology, they told me everything looked okay and they would "let me have the money".

I asked them if I earned any extra cash from them for my time, effort and patience in dealing with their "super bank security" game.  I would be happy with an extra $5.

The manager so "NO" and walked away.  No "sorry for your trouble" or "have a nice day" from any of my new bank friends.

I can't wait until the next time I get to go to the Bank..of the Sherman Oaks area...located in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment