Thursday, March 29, 2012

What does everyone in Hollywood share?

There is one fact about Hollywood that I knew before I moved to town.  It wasn't until I was here for a few weeks that I realized everyone is "working on a deal".

I've heard people discussing their deals at the gym, in the apartment complex, waiting in line at a food truck and while I've been helping the boy with his homework. 

The art of the deal seems to be the number one thing on the minds of all Hollywood residents.  My favorite "pitch" has to be the time I saw a tow truck driver pimping his screenplay to a producer while hauling away his car.

I've also noticed that none of the producers and directors in town "get" any of the people that haven't closed their deals.  I wouldn't say denial is a dominant emotion in most of the people trying to make it in show business.  I'd say they all have a very healthy opinion of their abilities.  Unfortunately, none of them have made the right connection to recognize their gifts.

How do I know this fact?  My waiter (the creator and screenwriter of a time travel trilogy focusing on a circus) told me so at lunch the other day...

1 comment:

  1. Similar to being at a comic convention and every third person has a book or series they're hawking.

    I try terribly hard not to be the person who pitches his ideas to anyone listening (even though I've got 20 pitches on deck and ready). Not so sure I always succeed...

    ReplyDelete