Thursday, August 30, 2012

The Artist Goes To An Adult Club! (Kind Of...)

The Artist received a last minute job booking last night.  The turnaround was tight but we decided to go for it since the job was only a 15-minute drive and it was already after rush hour.

The job was for kids between the ages of 8-18.  They were instructed to put on their best club wear for the shoot.  Zach quickly changed clothes and we headed for the set.

We arrived on time but parking was an issue near the set.  I told Zach the name of the project, the name of the casting director and sent him to the set as I left to find a place to park.

I was on the set in about 5 minutes.  I walked over to a pop-up tent where a casting person was having an disagreement with an actor who wanted to leave for the day but still expected his full pay.  She decided to ignore the actor and turned her attention to me.

I told her I had just dropped my son off and could I have directions to his location on the set.  She asked Zach's age and I replied, "14".  She looked at me like I was out of my mind and told me to head inside the giant set of black doors.  

I walked in as Zach was walking to the doors to find me.  I could tell by the look on his face that he also found the situation rather odd.  We went over to the check-in table to find out where Zach needed to go for the shoot.

We got another odd look from the casting lady at the table.  I explained about the last minute 
e-mail, club wear, be at this address, etc.  She looked at the two of us and sent Zach over to the doors leading to the set.  She handed me some paperwork to fill out for his payment and continued to give me a "are you sure you're supposed to be here?" look.  The casting woman asked if I was aware there would be some adults on set wearing skimpy outfits.  She wanted to know if I was okay with that AND had my son ever been to a place with half-naked women.

There is no scenario where "YES" is the correct answer to that question.

After I finished the paperwork, I checked on Zach by the set doors.  The first thing I noticed was him staring at a woman in a cheetah outfit.  I should say it might have been a cheetah outfit.  It might have been a naked woman wearing body paint to look like a cheetah.  We couldn't tell and it seemed rude to ask her while she was in character.

The door to the set would swing open every so often and all we would see is strobe lights, smoke, barking security guards and interesting dance moves.

We were on set for around 30-minutes when another woman from the casting office came over to find out why were at the shoot.  I showed her the email from the casting site asking us to come to the set by a certain time.  She looked horrified because the email was meant for a portion of the shoot that occurred earlier in the day.

Zach and I started laughing and told her not to worry about the casting notice confusion.  She kept apologizing to us and we kept telling her that it was no big deal.

I didn't say anything to Zach until we were in our truck.  I looked over at him and told him all of his paperwork was filled out and put away with the forms from the other actors.  

He might get paid since his paperwork was put away before we spoke to the final casting person.

And even if he doesn't get paid...It was worth it for the free night of entertainment!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4115971/

1 comment:

  1. Stories like this are half the reason to be in Hollywood - the fact that you got to experience it together is awesome.

    But, please tell me someone got pics of the cheetah girl!

    ReplyDelete