Thursday, September 11, 2014

Everybody's Talkin' Show Business At Me

I've mentioned before the amount of people in this town that are trying to make it in show business. It seems each day is a front row seat to view actors, writers, directors, producers, etc. trying their best to make their dreams come true.

I decided to devote one work week to keeping track of each time I was involved in a conversation or witness to a conversation involving show business in any way, shape or form.

I didn't write down the names of the folks involved in the conversations so no names were changed in the making of this blog post.  

Here we go!

Monday:
***In line at 7-Eleven when two guys behind me launch into a conversation about how Netflix will soon own the rights to sporting events.
***Waiting at a red light and watching the two cars in front of me pass head shots and scripts between each other.
***Walking Doc when a homeless guy approaches me asking for money to eat as well as wanting my opinion about "Guardians of the Galaxy" being the new template for superhero movies.

Tuesday:
***Leaving the Burbank Airport when I see a guy on the street with a sign that says, "Honk if you'd like to cast me in your movie".
(AKA Burbank Airport)

***Zach's manager emails to make sure we're all coming to a red carpet event at The Grove in a few weeks.
***I stop by Starbucks for a smoothie and witness a couple acting out their breakup in one act play form for the crowd.
***I receive an update on Zach's shooting dates in Colorado in October.
***A customer at Ralph's lets everyone know his opinion of the lack of premiere dates on many of the fall TV billboards.

(I'm looking you in your one Eye CBS!)

Wednesday:
***I go to a business meeting at a bakery in Beverly Hills.  No one was reading the LA Times but four different tables were deep in conversations about box office numbers and contracts.
***I go outside to walk Doc and find a set of headshots left on the curb.  Did the actor lose them the night before in a drunken haze or did he decide to give up on his showbiz dreams?
***I get an email from the company that produces "Wipeout" promoting their next wave of programming.
***A guy at the gym asks me to spot him as he is working on his upper body to "wow the casting director community".

Thursday:
***I receive a text from one of the parents I met during the filming of "Marshall The Miracle Dog" wanting some advice about where to stay in Los Angeles for Pilot Season.
(Hello from Los Angeles. Wish you were here.)

***The cashier at Vons tells me he was in one of the party scenes of "Project X".  (FYI...I didn't ask him anything about the movie)
***Two guys walking down the street were discussing how much they enjoy being their own reps.  In other words...They don't have agents.
***I heard one lady tell her kid, "Mommy wants you to know that no matter how big she gets, she'll always have time to take you to the babysitter." (I'm not sure why but that is my favorite quote of the week)

Friday:
***The guy working at the gas station told another customer he was looking forward to finishing his screenplay about a guy working at a store and his buddy that works next door to him. (I believe it was already made as "Clerks")
***I walk out to my car to find a crazy guy screaming movie quotes at the top of his lungs.  After each quote he would ask "How am I doing?????"
***I get two random Facebook messages asking me the best way to find a better agent.

The grand total of "industry talk"?


I'd like to thank everyone for playing...Even though you weren't aware you were part of my experiment!









No comments:

Post a Comment