Sunday, September 28, 2014

How Do I Prepare For An Audition?

I've been struggling to come up with a topic for a new blog post.  I'm not lacking in material because there is plenty of news to share about "Camp Abercorn".  The problem is I can't share it/don't want to share it until I talk to the "Abercorn Guys" to see what I can and can't say about the production.

The topic for this post came to me at the Italian Feast of San Gennaro.  I was leaving Second City last night to make my way home.  My exciting Saturday night plans involved writing a batch of SEO articles that are due ASAP.  Dana is out of town for work and Zach was hitting a movie with his pals.  I was on my way to the truck when I stumbled across the Italian Feast.  I'm not about to turn down the chance to get a homemade meatball sub so I decided the SEO articles could wait an extra 30 minutes.

I was in line behind four aspiring actors discussing the audition process. (Please see my blog post on September 11th for an idea of how frequently this happens in Los Angeles.  (Click Here For The "Talkin Hollywood Biz" Post

The struggling actors were discussing how nervous they get during auditions.  Their conversation made me think about all the times Zach has auditioned and what goes into preparing for the (as Tim Gunn would say) "Make It Work" moment of being in front of the casting director.

Step One:

Most people think the first step in audition prep is studying your lines.  While this is certainly an important part of the audition process, I believe the first step is reading the character breakdown and studying why the character acts the way he does in the script.  You can call it "character motivation".  You can call it the "character breakdown".  You can even call it "getting in the head of the character".  However you decide to phrase it, the reasons behind the actions of a character helps you focus as you learn your lines.  Knowing the character motivation makes the lines come alive for an actor.  The lines stop being words on a page and become real for the performer. 

Step Two:
Now that you have the sides (the script) in hand you need to prepare your wardrobe.  Don't go to the audition "in character".  Casting directors will always warn you against going to an audition in full costume.  Dress appropriately for your age as well as the part but don't arrive dressed like a police officer or a football player (especially if the script has nothing to do with those characters because that would just be weird).  
Don't dress too trendy or in an outfit that makes it look like you're trying too hard to impress the decision makers.  They want to see your acting chops and not your fashion style.

Step Three:

Be prepared to be professional.

I realize this sounds like the most obvious piece of advice but many actors don't remember it during an audition.  Some simple actions that help you stand out as being professional include:

*Arrive early to the audition.  Being on time is the same as being late in the eyes of casting directors.

*Be polite during your audition.  Don't get mad if you're asked to cold read.  Don't go off script unless you're directed to improvise a scene.

*When asked if you're available on certain days for callbacks and/or shooting dates, don't answer "yes" unless you're certain that you're free on those dates.  A quick way to lose the backing of a producer or casting director is to not be available on days you've already told them would be "no problem".

Step Four:

Do as much research in advance before you enter the audition room.  Learn all you can about the project as well as the director and producers.  Googling the casting director can help you get a better idea of the types of projects he or she casts.  In turn, this will help you discover the types of actors the CD favors in the audition process.

Step Five:

The final step is not to worry if you don't book the job.  The failure to book a job could easily lead to the landing of another part.  Zach has scored a few roles due to casting directors remembering him from other auditions and bringing him in later for a different part.  Every audition is a chance to practice your craft in front of a new audience.  Practicing in front of the mirror or with the same family members can lead to your acting becoming predictable.  The chance to play a part in front of different people is invaluable.

I hope the steps outlined above help you with your personal audition prep time.  I'd also like to thank the unknown actors in line with me for the post inspiration.

Finally, I hope that one day all of you can enjoy as awesome a meatball sandwich as I had at the Italian Feast!

This Kid Has Been Known To Enjoy A Meatball Sub!






No comments:

Post a Comment