Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Very Hollywood Holiday Party

I had the pleasure of attending the SAG-AFTRA Holiday Party tonight.  The party was located at their headquarters on Wilshire Blvd.

Advertised as a night to relax and unwind, it quickly turned into a evening full of people trying to convince everyone else in the room that they have better acting credits.

When you think about it, all of the SAG-AFTRA members in the room have found success because they work enough to be members of the union that represents over 160,000 film, television and radio professionals.  That fact didn't keep everyone from trying to "one-up" anyone within listening distance.

It was like being trapped in a room full of Troy McClures.  "You might know me from my work in the 80s as the voice of the 3rd raisin in the primetime special, 'Meet The Raisins', on CBS".

There was no dress code for the event.  The range of clothes ran from suits to jeans to people who looked like they just emerged from a duck blind.

Here's a rundown of my favorite lines from the night.  Some were said directly to me while I heard the other lines while walking around the party.

*"This is your first year as a member of the union?  How quaint.  I've been a member since before my first facelift."

*"Yo, man!  We did that Doritos commercial together!  Remember when I got drunk and nodded off with my face in a bag of that stuff?  It was like a Doritos cocaine party!!!!"

*"You realize he's only been a glorified extra in a bunch of shows.  I played a coffee shop worker in two episodes of a CW show.  I actually had to hand coffee cups to the lead actors!"

*"My latest project is a cross between 'Law & Order' and 'The Andy Griffith Show' where a folksy lawman solves sex crimes committed by mountain folk on a weekly basis".

*"Your son is an actor?  That's great.  I can easily pass for a teen."  (Of course the guy that said this to me was balding with a beer gut and a wooden leg)

*"Hey!  I remember you!  We did a play together.  You were the lead and I was dressed as a dancing tomato next to the singing onions."

*"People say I remind them of a young Tom Cruise.  I think I look more like a buff Jack McBrayer."

*"We're working on the budget now.  It will play like a cross between 30 Rock and The Love Boat.  They're really similar shows in terms of their jokes."

It was a big night for Zach since it was his first party as a SAG-AFTRA member.  We enjoyed dinner with a group of people from Chicago, Kansas City, Virginia and Montana.  Zach held his own with each person he met at the party.  I was very impressed with his politeness as well as his ability to "talk shop" with people from all walks of life.

He also looked super sharp at the party.

I can't wait to look for some of the people I met on the big, and small, screen.  I always wanted to know the guy who was beat out for a cab by Jason Segel on "How I Met Your Mother".


No comments:

Post a Comment