Sunday, July 8, 2012

A Happy...And Kind Of Sad...Fourth Of July

The Artist and I spent the Fourth of July at The Oakwoods Apartments in Toluca Lake.

The apartment complex is famous as the subject of the movie, "The Hollywood Complex".  The Oakwoods specializes in (expensive) furnished housing for families moving to Hollywood for the acting careers of their kids.  You can rent by the month at The Oakwoods.  Some of the famous names that have passed through the complex include Michelle Williams, Zac Efron, Jessica Biel and Jennifer Love Hewitt.

The complex is located between Warner Brothers Studios and Universal Studios.  It's more like an extended stay hotel instead of "a home" since the cast of characters living at the complex changes from month to month.

Zach has made some friends at The Oakwoods.  It's hard not to make friends that live in the complex due to the amazing amount of child actors that live in the apartments.

The complex is located in Toluca Lake.  There have been a number of famous Toluca Lake residents over the years including Bob Hope, Andy Griffith, Frank Sinatra, Miley Cyrus, Jack Black, Rick Dees, Bing Crosby, Ashley Tisdale, Henry Winkler and dozens of other celebrities.

The 4th party ran from 6pm-10pm.  The party included a band, volleyball, open swim at the pool and a great view of two fireworks shows (since the apartments sit on top of a hill).

Zach had a great time swimming, playing various sports and running around with a ton of kids that live in the apartments.

I don't know how much the band made but I believe they were overpaid for their services.  They took a break and suddenly the evening became an Oakwoods Talent Show.  I saw an 8-year-old sing  "Tik Tok" immediately after a 10-year-old sang Cee-Lo's "Forget You".  There were more songs, dances and jokes from the kids as the band chilled out by the pool.

I had to take a "mental break" so I went inside the clubhouse.  I entered a room filled with ads for casting directors, head shots, karaoke, acting classes and seminars (all at super inflated prices) that are available for the residents of the apartments.

I went outside and met various parents that were all too eager for me to watch their children on stage that night.  They wanted me to witness the birth of a new show business career.

Every kid I met that night was friendly and ready to show off their talents to a new audience.

I felt sad at the end of the night because I knew many of the kids were there because mom and dad were convinced they had found a new bread winner for the family.

Don't get me wrong...I realize I'm out here to help my kid start his acting career.  I'm not here to turn my kid into my retirement plan.

I met many parents that are already deciding how to spend the future earnings of their children.

A very very odd Fourth of July....


No comments:

Post a Comment