Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How To Scare A Mom & A Cashier In One Day

It was around 9pm on Friday night when we received a last minute paying job for Saturday afternoon.  Zach was offered the part of a kid being bullied in a music video.  Did he want the part?

A paid job....YES!




The shoot took place at a high school near KTLA's studios off Sunset Boulevard.  Did I mention this is the biggest high school I've ever seen???







Zach reported for his call time and was introduced to the on-set teacher.  I told her Zach didn't have any homework and she replied, "No big deal...We don't do homework on set during the summer".  

If you don't do homework then why are you on the set?

The start of the shoot was delayed for 20 minutes because we had to wait for a guy to open the gates to the basketball courts for us.  I discovered the guy with the key was waiting in the car RIGHT BY THE GATE.  I discovered this after the production assistants had disappeared to find the keeper of the key.







A shot of Zach on set before being bullied for the cameras.










I was asked by the director if it was okay for Zach to be covered in fake blood for the shoot.  He only asked because the blood would also get on his clothes.  I didn't mind at all and I texted his mom to tell her The Artist was having a great time on set.

After the shoot was over, I pulled Zach to the side and took some photos of his (fake) blood covered face.  I texted them to his mom because she knew he was being bullied and I was certain she would realize the blood was not real.

Nope...Here is our text conversation:

Dana: "OMG WHAT HAPPENED"
Mark: "Face Plant"
Dana: "Is anything broken"
Mark: "Teeth"
Dana: "Teeth broken out???"
Mark: "It's makeup..."
Dana: "OMG I almost passed out...I am shaking"

Did I mention I thought she would realize it was fake blood?  I won't post a photo because she reads this blog and I don't want to freak her out (again).

Zach mentioned he was hungry as we left the set.  We made our way down Sunset so we could hit a 
drive-through on the way home.

We ordered his food and pulled up to the cashier window.  The conversation went like this:

Cashier: "That will be five-dollars-and-AAAAAAHHHH!" (she slams the window shut)
Mark: "What's wrong?  Zach, what just happened?"  (as I turn and look at him) "Crap!"

I forgot he was wearing the fake blood!  The cashier came back to the window with her manager.

Manager: "Do you need us to call 911?"
Mark: "No...it's all okay...the blood is fake...he was shooting a music video."
Manager: "Are you telling me the truth?"
Mark: "If he was hurt would I be wasting my time ordering a chicken sandwich?"

We got back to our apartment and waited until we were sure nobody was waiting at the elevator.  

Zach got off the elevator and ran to our apartment before anyone saw him with blood all over his face.

FYI...I made sure to send his mom a "post blood photo" so she could see that he was okay after the shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment